East West University is a Private, Coeducational university. Its ranking number 10 in Top 10 University in Bangladesh. East West University (EWU) is a private university located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It’s motto is “Excellence in Education”. It was established in 1996 by the Private University Act, 1992. It now has its own campus in Rampura. The President of this university is Dr. Mohammed Farashuddin. The total students studying in this university are 6,162.
In 2007, Webometrics ranked EWU third among all universities of Bangladesh (first among private universities in Bangladesh) and 64th in the Indian subcontinent in their World Universities Ranking based on web visibility of electronic publication, scientific results and international activities.
The culture of private universities in Bangladesh started in the early 1990s. During that period, the government and the intellectual and civil society in Bangladesh started to feel that the existing public universities were not sufficient to meet the high, constantly increasing demand for tertiary education in the country. Moreover, to maintain their quality of education, most of the reputed public universities in Bangladesh kept themselves extremely selective and as a result each year a large number of students failed to get admitted into higher educational institutions. These issues led the government to permit the establishment of private universities, and on 9 August 1992, the Private University Act (Act 34) 1992 was passed. Within the next five years, a good number of private universities were established and started to perform successfully, and East West University has been one of them.
East West University was established in 1996 as a non-profit organization. The university was launched in September 1996 with 6 faculty members and 20 students in three programs, BBA, BSc in Computer Science and BA in English at the previous campus at 45, Mohakhali Commercial Area, Dhaka. Currently, the university maintains a good number of over six thousands students, in an integrated permanent campus in Aftab Nagar near Banosri
EWU is modeled on North American Open Credit systems. It maintains tri-semester (term) year with the exception of the Department of Pharmacy which maintains a bi-semester year. EWU semesters are as follow :
- Spring: January - April (starting on the second Sunday of January)
- Summer: May - August (starting on the second Sunday of May)
- Fall: September - December (starting on the second Sunday of September)
- Faculty of Sciences and Engineering
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Applied Statistics
- Faculty of Business and Economics
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Economics
- Faculty of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Department of English
- Department of Social Sciences
In May 2012 the University shifted completely to a newly built building on a plot of about 8 bighas(2.23 acre) at Aftabnagar near Banashree and Bangladesh Television. It has a floor space of about 450,000 sq. ft. and is fitted with state of the art equipment and facilities.
East West University has a large library covering about 11000 sq ft. in the new campus with maps and journal area, and has a photocopy corner, database search corner, user friendly newspaper display section and convenient communication systems. Every day around 2,200 users visit this library. The Library contains 21,713 copy books, subscription of 135 international and national journals (hardcopy), 3,293 online journals on its database, subscription to 16 national daily newspapers and around 1,500 CD-ROMs and audio cassettes.
EWU is providing well equipped laboratory facilities for its different engineering and science disciplines. In addition to those, the university is also providing seven computer laboratories with a local network of 533 PCs and personal VSAT services. Universities laboratories are shared as follow:
- Computer Communications Laboratories, shared by all the departments of the university.
- Digital Systems Laboratory, shared by all the engineering department.
- Electronics Laboratory, shared by all the engineering department.
- Electrical Circuits and Machine Laboratory, used by only EEE department.
- Network Laboratory, shared by department of CSE and APCE.
- Pharmacy Laboratory, used by only department of Pharmacy.
- Physics Laboratory, shared by all the science and engineering departments.
- Telecommunication Laboratory, used by only APCE department.
- VLSI Laboratory, shared by CSE and EEE departments.
- Software Engendering Laboratory,shared by only CSE and departments.
East West University has a growing and strong culture of student extracurricular activities. Under the supervision of 16 wide-range clubs, students use to take part in competitions and exhibitions starting from cultural and debating activities to intellectual programming and software developing task.
- Creative Marketing Club (CMC)
- Environmental and Social Club
- Computer Club
- EWU Computer Programming Club (EWUCoPC)
- Programming Club
- English Conversation Club
- Business Club (EWUBC)
- Financial Analysis & Research Club
- Telecommunication club (EWUTC)
- Cultural Club
- Sports Club
- MBA Club
- Pharmacy Club
- EWU Natural Science Club
- Rotaract Club of East West University (EWURC)
- Debating Club (EWUDC)
- Photography Club (EWUPC)
- EWU Electronics Club
- East West University Club for Performing Arts (EWUCPC)